The MSG Lab is VACT’s annual new play development program, in association with Playwrights Theatre Centre. Facilitating the creation and development of new theatrical work by emerging and mid-career Asian Canadian artists, this program is our commitment to the next generation of Asian Canadian theatre-makers. The MSG Lab showcases stories from Asian Canadian points of view, and develops new Asian Canadian work to a professional level for future production opportunities.
Each writer will have a personally designed process that will take them from where their script is from the beginning to where it needs to be before sharing with the public. Selected applicants will receive development support, including: a $500 stipend, dramaturgy, workshops, and a public presentation. In consultation with the dramaturg, each writer will have the opportunity to design a personalized writing process that best serves their creative needs.
Call for Submissions
Applications to the 2019 MSG Lab is now open.
Deadline: Friday, June
Results Announced: Friday, June 15, 2018
Workshops & Presentations Completed by: Thursday, Jan 31, 2019
- A cover letter (2 pages maximum) discussing the rational behind your proposed project, for example: What is your project about? What is your vision for this project? Why this particular project now? Why the MSG Lab? What are your needs and expectations of this process?
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant;
- A brief writing plan of the entire project, including development history (if applicable);
- A current draft, a collection of scenes, or a detailed sketch of the proposed project, with numbered pages;
- A title page with your name and contact information;
- Submit your files in PDF format;
- Email your completed application package to email@example.com by June 1, 2018 (we only accept email applications)
If you have any questions regarding the application process or your eligibility, please contact guest curator Derek Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your submissions!