The MSG Lab is VACT’s annual new play development program in association with Playwrights Theatre Centre. Facilitating the creation and development of new theatrical work by emerging and mid-career Asian Canadian artists, this program is our commitment to the next generation of Asian Canadian theatre-makers. The MSG Lab showcases stories from the Asian Canadian points of view, and develops new Asian Canadian work to a professional level for future production opportunities.
Call for Submissions
Applications to the 2018 MSG Theatre Lab is now open. Selected applicants will be offered 5 months of development support, including: a $500 stipend, professional dramaturgy, workshops, and a public presentation at the end of the process.
Application Deadline: Friday June 30, 2017
- Must be a resident of Canada (study/work permits, permanent residency, or citizenship);
- Must be an emerging or professional theatre artist as recognized by peers;
- Must be available for at least 3 dramaturgical meetings and 2 workshops between August 2017 and January 2018 (detailed schedule to be set by playwright and dramarurg); and
- Must be available for a workshop presentation in January 2018.
- A cover letter (2 pages maximum) discussing the rational behind your proposed project, including but not limited to: What is your project about? What is your vision for this project? Why this particular project now? Why the MSG Lab? Why do you want to work with VACT? What are your expectations of this process?
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant;
- A brief work plan of the entire project, including development history (if applicable);
- A current draft, a collection of scenes, or a detailed sketch of the proposed project, with numbered pages;
- A title page with your name and contact information;
- $20 submission fee (please mail cheques to Vancouver Asian Canadian Theatre at 1411 Cartwright St, Vancouver, BC V6H 3R7).
- Submit your files in PDF format (here's how)
- Email your completed application package to email@example.com by June 30, 2017 (we only accept email applications)
Submissions are read by a panel of curatorial staff and guest artists. Shortlisted candidates may be contacted in mid-July for a follow up interview. Decisions will be made by end of July.
If you have any questions regarding the application process or your eligibility, contact associate artistic producer Derek Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to reading your submissions!